When it comes to delivery, there are many ways that your business can help the environment. In fact, it can be one of the most effective things you do for the planet. One of the many first steps is to look at how your drivers are getting around when they make deliveries in their vehicles and make sure that you’ve got the best options available for them. Also, businesses need to explore the options of choosing bio-degradable material for many a thing like packaging and storage. Let’s highlight more on this, through the article.
Use eco-friendly packing materials
To make sure you’re doing your part in reducing waste, it’s best to use eco-friendly packing materials. Eco-friendly packing materials are usually made of recycled or renewable materials and can be used over and over again without breaking down. For example, paperboard is a great choice because it’s 100% recyclable, while Styrofoam isn’t. You can also look into using 100% biodegradable film instead of plastic wrap or other non-biodegradable plastics.
The best way to reduce your impact on the environment is by reducing waste. If you can, avoid using packing materials altogether by choosing to use reusable containers or repurposing items that you already have in your warehouse.
Work with suppliers who have similar values
One of the most important things you can do is find suppliers that share your values. There are ways to do this:
- Look at their website and social media pages. Does it reflect a sense of environmental consciousness? Are they concerned with sustainability? Do they use recycled materials?
- Ask them. When you’re talking to a potential supplier, ask them what they think about being part of a zero-waste delivery model or working towards less waste overall. Is it something that would be difficult for them or not worth their time? If so, it’s probably not worth pursuing further.
Expand your options to recycled and biodegradable packaging
You may be familiar with the term “biodegradable” when it comes to food packaging, but did you know that some materials are also biodegradable for your business? Biodegradable packaging is made from renewable resources like cornstarch, sugarcane, and wheat flour. They are commonly used for things like cups, napkins and straws. Recycled or recovered products are used instead of new ones; this means that they have been salvaged from the waste stream and reused after being reprocessed. Some examples include:
- Recycled paperboard
- Recycled aluminium cans
- Recycled glass bottles
Switch to electric vehicles
Another way to cut down on emissions is to switch your delivery vehicles to electric. Electric vehicles are cleaner, more efficient and cheaper to maintain than conventional vehicles, which can save you money in the long run. They’re also safer for both drivers and pedestrians because they’re quieter when they go by—and if their batteries are charged at home or at work instead of at a fuel station, there’s less risk of theft too.
One major benefit of electrification is that it reduces costs associated with maintenance and repairs because EVs have fewer moving parts compared with a traditional fleet of vehicles.
Helping the environment is good for business and it’s good for your drivers.
- Having a zero-waste delivery service is not only good for the environment but also allows you to be a more sustainable company.
- Your drivers can feel better about what they do when they know they’re doing something that helps the planet.
- It allows you to stand out as a brand, especially since many companies are still struggling with waste management and recycling.
- By being environmentally conscious, your customers will feel like they’re doing their part by supporting you and your mission which in turn will benefit them too!
While it might seem like a pipe dream to get your business to zero waste, it’s become increasingly possible with the right tools and strategies in place. With new technology on offer, the possibilities for a greener future are endless.
If you’re looking for route optimisation software, SolBox has what you need! Our platform has comprehensive tools and features to help your logistics operation have better routes, all for affordable prices. Simply go to our website to request a live demo!