It’s difficult to remember a world without GPS-equipped vehicles, a world where drivers had to plan their trips beforehand and drive around with a paper map. That’s because technology has evolved to make our vehicles, businesses and fleets more efficient – but bus companies are falling behind in utilising it. Good logistics is the key to a successful fleet, whether small or large, and the same holds true for buses.
A lot goes into effectively managing a bus fleet, from training drivers to memorise bus routes and adapt to road conditions, to organising efficient timetables that meet commuter needs. Even without factoring training processes, running a fleet of buses is a costly process. Petrol prices, maintenance costs and driver performance can significantly impact the cost of a bus fleet.
Not getting all of the above right can be detrimental for your fleet. This is where logistics solutions come into play, by providing you with a platform that transfers information to the vehicle, driver, and manager. This allows both small and large bus fleets to streamline operations and routes.
Logistics solutions aren’t a one size fits all fix. It’s important to seek out providers who will offer you customised software packages that fit the needs of your fleet, instead of charging you for features you won’t need, or can’t afford.
Logistics solutions come with a range of features and benefits, which include:
- Pre-defined route planning, which can reduce training hours by up to 90 percent.
- Real-time tracking and re-routing of vehicles, which keeps your drivers in the loop, on track and on time.
- Dynamic scheduling to meet the demands of your passengers. Quickly bring in new drivers or buses onto the roads in time for a large event or spike in demand.
- Reducing operating costs by having access to a real-time view of your vehicles, all while coaching drivers to become better and more efficient on the road through live feedback – keeping your buses efficient and your back office informed and alert.
- Save money on driver training initiatives through real-time location data and driver feedback and reports. Receive quick, objective performance reviews of your drivers and save time and money normally spent on training and review initiatives. Drivers virtually train themselves thanks to real-time feedback from their dashboard, such as sharp turning or speeding.
- Logistics Analysis of equipment, including vehicles, can inform drivers and management which parts need servicing, repair, or replacement – saving you time, resources and the risk of an unexpected malfunction.
- Arguably one of the most valuable features of a logistics platform is sophisticated route optimisation, which works in real-time and responds to changing road conditions such as congestion hotspots and roadworks. Retain fuel efficiency by diverting drivers to better routes, saving 35% of your fleet operating costs normally lost to wasted fuel.
The overarching benefit of an effective logistics solution is equipping bus operators with the right tools to save them time spent on optimising their fleet’s efficiency. The right logistics solution will offer the scalability and flexibility to meet your passengers’ needs, no matter the size of your fleet, in a rapidly digitised industry.